YMCA Supportive Housing Campus at-home opportunities
The YMCA Supportive Housing Campus is a community solution to help eliminate homelessness by providing hope, dignity, and support in the form of permanent supportive housing. The program assists those who are homeless or at risk of homelessness to meet their basic needs and reach their life goals. We have many ways students can volunteer off-site to assist our residents:
- Card making – We have an ongoing need for handmade cards to fulfill two of our promises. Each resident receives a Happy Birthday card on their special day; each new resident receives a Welcome Home card in their supportive care package on move in day. We love handmade cards and they are treasured by our residents.
- Notes of encouragement – This time of social distancing can be difficult and sometimes lonesome. Small notes or cards of encouragement are valued and lift spirits up more than you know! We have 140 residents and it would be amazing to have this gesture to let our folks know that the community cares.
- Kindness rocks – We have a beautiful courtyard with garden spaces that would be so vibrant with the addition of hand painted kindness rocks. We love the idea that residents could stroll outside and see little pieces of art with positive words and/or pictures.
- Tie blankets – Residents receive a handmade blanket on their one year anniversary of being safely and affordably housed, so we love to offer them their choice of a cozy handmade blanket.
- Kindness bags – it’s fun to decorate bags and fill them with little treats for the residents. Again, it’s a lovely way for the residents to know that the community cares.
For more information or to get started, please email Community Engagement Director Brooke Heldt at Brooke.Heldt@dmymca.org.